Conservation Assistant - Woodlands
Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset
Exmoor National Park Authority is the organisation that manages a unique and beautiful part of the country that has been shaped by nature and people over thousands of years.
From the high cliffs that plunge into the Bristol Channel to the vast moorlands of North Devon, Exmoor offers drama, tranquillity, beauty and adventure. Whether it’s the wild red deer, villages bursting with character or dark skies full of stars, it is a place of rare experiences, stunning vistas and engaging environments.
We are currently looking for a Conservation Assistant to join us on a fixed-term contract until the 31st March 2022.
- Salary of £21,589 - £24,799 per annum
- Government pension
- Flexible working
- Family friendly schemes
- Dog friendly office
- Paid sickness leave
- Social events
- 27 days’ holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays
- Annual personal development reviews and quarterly one-to-one meetings
We want to ensure that our National Park has a thriving living landscape and remains a place where people can enjoy, and benefit from, Exmoor’s unique qualities and sustainable communities.
As a member of our Conservation team, you will play a key role in achieving this vision by protecting our wonderful woodlands, some of which date back to before 1600 AD. Full of nature, heritage and scientific interest, our woodlands are home to a range of wildlife, as well as the whitebeam trees, which grow nowhere else in the world.
Not only will you be making a real difference, but you will also benefit from one of the world’s most incredible work environments. Based in a beautiful wooded valley beside the River Barle, your role will take you across the National Park, giving you plenty of opportunities to enjoy the clean country air and enjoy Exmoor’s beauty.
As our Conservation Assistant, you will help to manage and protect Exmoor National Park Authority’s woodland estate.
You’ll assist the Woodlands team in areas such as tree preservation orders, tree safety, ash dieback, timber sales and developing income generation opportunities to support the successful running of the Park.
Additionally, you will:
- Assist with routine enquiries
- Help to prepare work specifications, site risk assessments, safety plans and tender documents for forestry and arboricultural services
- Process applications for tree works
- Update and create tree and woodland pages on our website
- Engage, and work with, volunteers
To join us as a Conservation Assistant, you’ll need:
- Experience of working within forestry, landscape conservation or countryside management
- Previous experience of working with contractors, landowners and dealing with members of the public
- A Lantra professional tree inspection qualification (or equivalent)
- Good report writing skills
- To be confident in the use of maps and geospatial information to navigate in remote locations
- The ability to handle matters with tact and diplomacy
- A degree level qualification or equivalent experience in forestry, environmental science, countryside management, ecology or landscape design/management
- A driving licence and access to your own vehicle to travel throughout the National Park
We would like to hear from you if you’ve worked as a Woodland Conservation Assistant, Estate Conservation Assistant, Forest Conservation Assistant, Conservation Service Assistant, Landscape Conservation Assistant, Countryside Management Assistant, or Woodlands Officer.
Interviews are scheduled to be held on the 15th January 2020.
As a service provider and local employer, Exmoor National Park Authority is committed to promoting equal opportunities and tackling social exclusion in everything it does. The Authority recognises its statutory equality duties under legislation in terms of service provision and employment and is committed to meet them.
So, if you want to join our hard-working team as a Conservation Assistant, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37 hours per week