Job Title: Democratic Services Officer
Function: Democratic Services
Division: Corporate Affairs
Department: Corporate Resources
Reporting to: Head of Chief Executive's Office & Democratic Services Manager/Deputy Democratic Services Manager/Senior Democratic Services Officers
Responsible for: none
Main Purpose of Job:
1. To be responsible for servicing Council committees, sub-committees, working parties, other member-level bodies, and key officer groups supporting decision making.
2. To be familiar with the democratic arrangements in the Council and to advise Chairs, members and officers in the interpretation of Standing Orders, governance arrangements, decision-making processes and other procedural matters.
3. To record decisions of meetings, write and process questions, references and Council reports, notify officers and Members promptly of Committee decisions, allocate and notify those concerned of action to be taken.
4. To service quasi-judicial bodies (eg education admission and exclusion appeals) and at those meetings to give appropriate advice to members, staff and the public to ensure that proceedings accord with relevant legislation, principles of natural justice and internal procedures.
5. To undertake special projects to improve the services provided by Democratic Services.
Summary of Duties:
1. To take responsibility for servicing any of the Council's formally constituted bodies or other informal meetings in accordance with the Council's procedures.
2. To develop detailed knowledge of local government administrative law.
3. To be responsible to the Chief Executive, without reference to her/him, in accordance with the Council's corporate arrangements for report preparation and submission, for the content of all committee reports within the work areas allocated and prescribed deadlines.
4. To research and prepare replies for signature by the Leader of the Council, the Mayor etc.
5. To assist the Head of the Chief Executive's Office and Democratic Services Manager in the development and implementation of the political structure for the Council in line with legislative framework.
6. To advise on and support different methods of community involvement utilized within the Council, including public notice questions, petitions, speaking rights at public meetings and any other specially designed democratic engagement tool as appropriate and relevant.
7. As directed by the Head of the Chief Executive's Office and Democratic Services Manager, to participate in corporate initiatives linked with a rigorous regime of performance indicators and efficiency measures in the provisions of services.
8. To undertake all duties with regard to Health and Safety legislation and equality of opportunity.
9. To undertake any other project work as may from time to time be directed by the
10. Head of the Chief Executive's Office and Democratic Services Manager.
11. To take responsibility, appropriate to the post for tackling racism and promoting good race, ethnic and community relations.
Person Specification - Democratic Services Officer
It is essential that your written application give evidence or examples of your proven experience in each of the criteria marked application. Evidence of other areas will be sought at interview and/or test (as highlighted).
Short List Criteria
S1 Able to attend evening meetings on a regular basis
K1 A degree or equivalent experience
K2 Knowledge and experience of working within a democratic services role
K3 Knowledge of modern.gov, similar committee management system, database or customer relationship management (CRM) system and experience of using the system daily, using a variety of functions within the system to enhance management processes and procedures and to develop new projects to assist the organisation.
E1 Experience of servicing committees, working parties and quasi-judicial meetings.
E2 Experience of drafting formal and sometimes complex letters, reports, and/or minutes and notes of meetings.
E4 Experience of providing advice to councillors and officers on decision making processes and constitutional matters
Focuses on People
Focuses on People is about considering the people who our work affects, internally and externally. It's about treating people fairly and improving the lives of those we impact.
Takes Ownership is about being proactive and owning our personal objectives. It's about seizing opportunities, driving excellence, engaging with the council's objectives, and furthering our professional development.
Works Collaboratively is about helping each other, developing relationships, and understanding other people's roles. It's about working together with colleagues, partners, and customers to earn their respect, and get the best results.
Communicates Effectively is about how we talk, write and engage with others. It's about using simple, clear, and open language to establish positive relationships with others. It's also about how you listen and make yourself open to conversation.
Focuses on Results
Focuses on Results is about ambition and achievement. It's about making sure we are working towards the end product and considering the effect of our service. It's about making the right impact, having the right result and changing things for the better If you match these requirements, please apply as usual. Elevate will send you an email, please open, click and action it and your application will be visible to the hiring organisation directly. Elevate provides a route to contract and contingent assignments across many skills areas by matching your profile to relevant jobs that our customers post to the platform. Please note that Elevate Direct is a software provider and not a recruitment agency. As such, Elevate is not involved in the recruitment processes for any employer, who uses the platform. Please contact employers directly through your Elevate profile with any queries related to your application.