This organisation are a Legal Business Partner - Property and Highways on a temporary basis for 3 months initially.
This role manages a large team of Property & Highways Lawyers and deals with the more complex legal matters in those areas. This position is a member of the Service Management Team.
The role holder will be the professional lead for one or more of planning, highways, environmental and property law. The role holder will be responsible for line managing lawyers from more than one specialist field and from one or more of the specialist teams.
* Meeting regularly with Directorate Leadership Team or Company Board to establish strong professional client relationships, to understand the client's strategic direction, their legal support needs and resultant priorities
* Provide legal input, as required, into the formulation of client business/work plans or in relation to significant projects or initiatives, including providing robust challenge over deliverability and risks
* Resolving issues regarding poor performance and service provision
* Actively contributing to the management of principal legal risks for your client cohort and also within the area for which you are professional lead
* Commissioning resources for clients across three functional/specialist legal teams
* Working collaboratively with other Business Partners over the prioritisation of work between clients, collective risk management and service resilience building
* Taking ownership for the delivery of the legal support associated with corporately significant projects/issues, including liaising with the Corporate Governance Service to ensure integration of legal advice with corporate decision making
* Attending at member meetings either to provide specific advice or to represent the Assurance Service
* Undertaking legal work in connection with highly complex legal matters
* Participating in the promotion of the Legal Service, including training for internal and external clients and attending marketing/promotional events
* Meeting with potential clients and working with the Assistant Head of Service, Practice Manager, Client Services Team Leader and the Client Services Executive to put together tenders or collaborative working proposals
* Operational line management responsibilities for lawyers from more than one legal specialism
* Providing constructive feedback and support to staff to facilitate their personal and professional development
* Professional leadership in one or more legal specialist areas (from planning, highways, environmental and property law) providing guidance and support to lawyers in that field
* Leadership/management on thematic issues affecting the Service, for example Professional Development, Business Development, Professional Compliance
* Proactively ensuring that clients and legal staff are aware of prospective legislative changes and their implications
* Operating flexibly to provide support and apply managerial skills to others strands of the Governance & Information Service, as required by the Head of Service
* Undertaking other duties appropriate to the role and its grade
Knowledge, skills & experience Recruitment and selection:
* Expertise, including recent significant practical experience, in one or more of planning, highways, environmental and property law
* Demonstrates a clear understanding of the wider statutory framework underpinning local government decision making and an awareness and some understanding of the subject matters covered by each of the legal specialist teams
* Significant experience of being the lead advisor on corporately significant and politically sensitive projects
* Substantial experience of taking personal ownership of difficult and controversial corporate issues and seeing them through to a successful conclusion
* Ability to analyse and interpret management information and financial data
* Experience of mentoring colleagues successfully and delegating and prioritising work effectively
* Inspires and motivates colleagues through personal drive, commitment and achievement
* Demonstrates a commercial awareness and role models a practical and problem solving approach in the provision of legal advice Interview and/or Assessment
* Evidence of being an effective operator at a senior level having credibility to influence positively senior Members, Chief Executive, Directors, Managing Director, Company Board members
* A demonstrable ability to adapt personal interactions and presentation styles according to the situation and for the needs of audiences at all levels Interview and/or Assessment
Degree level or equivalent qualification and relevant professional qualification and/or membership of a relevant professional body (Solicitor or Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives) with significant post qualification experience, or equivalence through very significant legal experience
Please note that this role is within scope of IR35
Please send your most updated CV to Grant Wilson by clicking apply now.
Fusion People are committed to promoting equal opportunities to people regardless of age, gender, religion, belief, race, sexuality or disability. We operate as an employment agency and employment business.
You'll find a wide selection of vacancies on our website