This lawyer's primary role will be to provide legal advice and direction to all divisions based in the UK, Ireland and Nordics, including nutrition and medical devices. You will be based in Maidenhead alongside the business divisions and will report to the Legal Director North & Western EMEA.
You will provide commercial legal advice and support the businesses based in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Nordics. Duties will include analysis and provision of legal advice focused on business-oriented solutions on a wide range of matters, including general commercial, public healthcare procurement, distribution arrangements, medical device/pharmaceutical compliance and manufacturing as required. Role will assist in developing Legal services support systems for the businesses and educating business teams on legal-related issues.
* Responsibility for United Kingdom, Ireland and Nordics Legal services within assigned client areas. Manages one mid-level solicitor as direct report (plus potential for future management of one or more others as part of a small team).
* Helps the Legal Director North & Western EMEA develop Legal Department's strategy based on country inputs and counsel.
* Mentors, supports and directs assigned attorneys/paralegals and support staff; serves as a role model and as a champion of the legal department through work ethic, attitude, interpersonal skills and successful results.
* Plays a key role in selecting, recruiting and developing attorneys and support staff.
* Provides input into attorney performance evaluations, merit increases and developmental planning and assignments.
* Reports to the Legal Director North & Western EMEA.
Core Job Responsibilities
* Identifies basic to moderately complex legal issues related to assigned matter; proposes alternative solutions. Handles significantly complex legal issues with involvement of the Legal Director North & Western EMEA.
* Negotiates independently on significant matters and areas of importance to management.
* Facilitates that the business is working to standard, harmonized, templates, (legal) processes and has a consistent approach to (legal) risk.
* Expected to acquire -after joining- a solid knowledge of businesses supported and knowledge of the broader business impact.
* Resolves routine and moderately complex to complex legal matters day to day in practice area with minimal or no supervision.
* Keeps abreast of changes in laws that affect client areas; communicates these to colleagues; and represents externally to customers, suppliers, competitors or to government agencies as needed.
* Resolves legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise; coaches and directs assigned support staff in their responsibilities.
* To the extent that complex problems or specific technical expertise is required, helps to select and direct the work of external counsel, defines project objectives, manages costs and manages project in line with business expectations.
* Advises the Legal Director North & Western EMEA or Area Legal Counsel and appropriate legal departments of critical project developments /matters in a timely manner.
* Assigned matters may have a significant to critical impact on business activities and operations.
* Advises the Legal Director North & Western EMEA, Area Counsel, Regional Management, and Affiliate General Managers, Directors and Managers.
* Must operate within appropriate budget(s). Develops budgets for assigned legal matters where necessary. Develops budgets for travel.
* Ability to quickly develop public procurement/tendering law know-how if not previously experienced in the sector.
* Degree level and subsequent legal professional qualification resulting in England/Wales solicitor (or barrister) qualification holding SRA practice certificate as applicable.
Background Experience/Training Required:
* Proven post-qualification experience (not less than 8-10y PQE)
* In-house experience or exposure; which may include experience gained as part of a secondment or through a long-standing advisory relationship with one or more external clients.
* Strong experience in general commercial law covering all key areas.
* Strong project management skills.
* Strong drafting, negotiation and client communication skills.
* Exposure to anti-bribery legislation (UKBA, FCPA).
* Exposure to UK and European Union anti-trust law.
* Proven experience with Public procurement law; including tender challenges.
* Exposure to a highly regulated industry.
Understanding and experience in following areas highly desirable:
* Prior Management experience of junior lawyers, paralegals or contract managers.
* UK medical devices or other healthcare product sector experience (including product liability).
* Sourcing/purchasing contracts and related issues.
* Instructing and management of external counsel.
* Cross-border commercial work.
* General corporate law.
* Dispute resolution.
* General understanding/experience in intellectual property (patents, trademarks).
* Healthcare Professional Relations regulation.
The individual needs to be highly motivated and enthusiastic with demonstrated initiative, adaptability and integrity, with strong communication skills, a cultural sensitivity to working in a multi-national company and have the ability to work effectively in teams.
The individual needs to be a technically sound lawyer with good judgement and a sense of urgency and pragmatism. Able to lead, motivate and grow more junior lawyers.
Languages: English, other European languages (notably a Nordic language) beneficial, but not essential
The company offer free parking, on site gym and subsidised canteen.
Adecco is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer