Business Support Manager - Contract
CV Submission Deadline: 24/04/2018 (Email Removed) 09:45am
- COMPETITIVE Daily Pay Rate: £150 UMBRELLA
- Hours: Daily 7.4 weekly 37
- Location: Inner London: Nobel House
- Contract Length: ASAP to 01/09/2018
- BPSS with Basic Disclosure (issued by Disclosure & Barring Service or Disclosure Scotland) Security Clearance
The Organisation The Government Legal Department (GLD) is the largest provider of legal services across government, working with over 180 government departments and public bodies. From roads to rivers, and health to human rights, our work touches on most aspects of public life.
The department has more than 12 client-facing advisory teams who provide legal advice on the development, design and implementation of government policies and decisions, draft secondary legislation and work with Parliamentary Counsel on primary legislation.
In addition to the client-facing advisory teams, our cross-cutting expert service groups for Litigation, Employment and Commercial Law provide specialist legal services to a wide range of government departments and public bodies.
We are a non-ministerial government department with more than 1,800 employees, around 1,300 of whom are solicitors or barristers. The department is based primarily in London but has teams in Bristol, Manchester and Leeds. As an organisation our vision is to be trusted by government to provide consistently excellent and value for money services so government departments want to come to us to meet their legal needs, to be known throughout the legal profession for the quality of our legal work, and to be the best employer for our people. The Division The Commercial Law Group (CLGp) is a friendly and busy area of GLD where no one day is the same. You will get the chance to use your transferrable skills in an evolving expert service which is expanding. The HEO posts form part of the DH Commercial Law Group Team.
The team also delivers a wide range of corporate functions to support the Commercial Law Director and senior leadership team.
We are looking for a self-motivated, organised individual who:
- is capable of balancing competing deadlines and priorities
- has the ability to work well with colleagues and stakeholders at all level
- has a flexible attitude and willingness to turning their hand to a range of issues
- is a strong team-player with a collaborative approach but also the ability to work independently
- is proficient in using ICT, with experience of using Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Visio and in particular, Excel
- has the ability to develop quickly successful relationships with key stakeholders - has an interest in working in the public sector/for Central Government.
The main activities associated with the roles are; Business Management Support to the Deputy Director in particular with respect to the procurement of external legal suppliers, strategic planning and day to day operation providing high quality, professional and cost effective administrative support to the Commercial Law Group Defra and DfE Team enabling the achievement of GLD, Commercial Law Group and Team objectives. Including, but not limited to:
Procurement and Management of external legal suppliers, including relationship management with the client departments
- Act as member of Management Team
- Provide Management Secretariat (monthly), producing agendas and minutes of meeting within 3 working days
- Strategic Business Planning (quarterly by 2nd week of April, July, October, January)
- Preparation of resource business cases
- Resource Allocation
- Financial and budgetary support
- Risk reporting
- Business Continuity Planning Client Facing Support the Deputy Director in relationship management with key clients, in particular:
- Producing financial and business planning data
- Drawing up mid-year and annual reports (by mid October and Mid May respectively)
- Attending meetings where requested and required
- First point of contact for day to day business and correspondence
- Allocating of new business in agreement with Deputy Directors
- ability to manage, interpret, analyse and present complex information, including MI, and other data to identify and follow through with areas for action within and across all teams
- capable of driving delivery, initiating and developing new ideas and processes
- ability to manage a diverse workload and deploy resources to meet current and future demand - excellent people engagement skills and a focus on building collaborative working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders across the departments
- strong leadership skills and an ability to communicate with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm
- IT Skills including Outlook, Visio, Microsoft Office products (Word and in particular, Excel) and digital services
Desirable - Project Management and proven planning, organisation and monitoring skills are desirable