We have an exciting opportunity for a Seasonal Activity Instructor to join our team at either Downe-Kent, Youlbury-Oxford or Hawkhirst-Hexham. You will be working on a 9-month fixed term contract and in return we will offer you a competitive salary of £17,077 per annum. Although this job is fixed term, we do offer all our employees great learning and development at Scouts and support fixed term contactors in trying to secure further job opportunities during their time working with us.
As Scouts, we believe in empowering young people with skills for life. We encourage our young people to do more, learn more and be more. We believe in bringing people together. We celebrate diversity and stand against intolerance, always. We’re a worldwide movement, creating stronger communities and inspiring positive futures.
The purpose of the role is to inspire, coach and teach hundreds of young people each year in the art of Adventure. Working in some of the country’s most inspirational locations this is an opportunity to join the Scout Adventures team. Learning by doing is at the heart of Scouting and that’s exactly what you’ll be helping young people to do.
What will you be doing as a Seasonal Activity Instructor?
- Act as a role model ensuring best practice within the instructing team, informally mentoring less experienced instructors and volunteers.
- Work with our centre teams to deliver high quality adventure experiences to our customers.
- Assist with the maintenance, preparation, organisation and issuing of equipment.
- Assist in the daily site duties to ensure a functional environment to deliver residential experiences.
- Undertake evening duties on a rota basis, assisting the supervision of groups and provision of evening activities.
- Undertake overnight on-call duties when required, providing a first point of contact for customers in an emergency.
- Assist in ensuring that a safe environment exists for all visitors to the Centre.
- Undertake other reasonable duties as may be required by the Centre Manager.
- Contribute to welcoming and supportive ethos, working flexibly when necessary to support colleagues.
- The post holder must promote and safeguard the welfare of the children and young People that they are responsible for, or come in contact with.
What we can offer you as our Seasonal Activity Instructor:
- 25 days holiday per annum + bank holidays
- Additional holidays between Christmas & New Year
- London Weighting
- Life Assurance
- Simply Health Scheme
- Generous Pension Scheme
- Accommodation on site included as part of the role
What we are looking for in our Seasonal Activity Instructor:
- Good communication skills especially orally.
- Ability to deliver adventurous and educational activities to and our broad range of guests.
- Demonstrate an ability to provide first class customer service.
- A willingness to take action and to make decisions independently.
- Sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others.
- Understanding of Scout Association and how we operate.
- Ability to adapt easily to situations and demonstrates a willingness to learn.
- At least 2 qualifications relevant to the centre, such as: SPA/RCI, CWA/CWI, Mountain Leader, ERCA Instructor and Rescuer, BCU Paddlessport Instructor or Leader, Dinghy Instructor, Achery GB Instructor, NSRA YPS Tutor or LMCLA Level 1.
- Experience of working at an outdoor or activity centre or similar setting.
- Cares about outdoor education and understands how it can change the lives of young people.
- Able to adapt to changing situations, communicate, cooperate with and respect others in the team.
- Wants to do a good job every time and wants to do the right thing even when it’s not easy to do.
- The nature of this post and the environment requires significant weekend and evening working.
- The post is a live in position in shared accommodation provided as part of the employment package with no deductions to salary for either.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to join our fantastic team! Click ‘Apply’ now to become our Seasonal Activity Instructor.
Term: Fixed Term Contract for 9 months
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: £17,077 per annum, Band A, Level 3
Closing date: Friday 6th December 2019, 23:59
The Scouts is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to diversity and actively seeking applicants from a wide range of backgrounds.
Strictly no agencies