Historic Environment Apprentice (27 Month Apprenticeship)
£8,658 per annum (£4.50 per hour) for first year. Rising to the national minimum wage in the second year
The Yorkshire Dales National Park is one of the most beautiful landscapes in the UK and we are looking for someone who would love to help us look after it. We have an opportunity for an enthusiastic Historic Environment Apprentice to kick start their career with an apprenticeship in the Historic Environment Team.
Are you interested in learning:
- About the importance of heritage in the National Park: the people, organisations, policies and legislation that are responsible for its protection
- The fundamentals of the archaeological landscape, architectural history and conservation
- The skills required to identify and appraise different types of heritage sites and historic buildings and to assess their condition
- The knowledge and skills required to analyse, date, monitor and conserve a range of historic places
- The value of heritage to the local economy, to local communities and to the (circa) three million people who visit the National Park every year
Then this is the apprenticeship for you!
As a Historic Environment Apprentice, you will gain valuable work experience:
- Supporting an inspiring team within a National Park Authority
- Understanding the variety and importance of our historic environment including archaeology, historic buildings, conservation areas, landscapes and other important heritage
- Forming productive working relationships with colleagues and a range of external partners, including the owners and managers of historical buildings and archaeological sites
- Learning to interpret and assess significance and heritage value, and to reach outcomes that balance a range of conservation interests
- Contributing to advice and recommendations (made by phone, email and letter) about the management of the historic environment to heritage and non-heritage professionals and members of the public in a clear, evidenced and accessible way
This Historic Environment Apprenticeship will give you knowledge, skills and experience that will greatly enhance your future career prospects:
- Once you have successfully completed your apprenticeship you will have gained 27 months of work experience and a solid grounding in the historic environment that will enable you to build a career within many areas of the heritage sector.
- You will also have gained research and report writing skills which are transferable to a range of industries.
- You will have developed technical skills in databases, GIS and digital and archival information management.
- You will have gained an understanding of planning processes and heritage protection which will be valuable to roles in public sector organisations such as local authorities, smaller private sector planning consultancies, and heritage charities. While we cannot guarantee an offer of a permanent post within the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority at the end of your apprenticeship, we are committed to your future and providing you with a solid foundation of skills and experience.
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on Wednesday 28th August 2019
Anticipated interview: Week commencing Monday 9th September 2019
This is a full-time role working 37 hours per week. The ideal start date will be September 2019.
To apply for the role of Historic Environment Apprentice, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Historic Environment Apprentice, Archaeological Apprentice, Trainee Park Ranger, Conservation Apprentice, Environmental Conservation Apprentice, Environmental Development Apprentice