Senior Collection Officer needed in Exeter area asap!
Start date: Immediate
Full time, Monday – Friday, 37 hours per week
Pay rate: £11.06p/h
We are looking for a Senior Collection Officer, to work within the Payment and Collection Team Department. The anticipated contract duration will be three months from the starting date.
* To monitor and control customer accounts that have fallen into arrears, in relation to the recovery of Rent, Council Tax, Housing Benefit overpayments, former tenancy arrears, rechargeable repairs, and garage charges.
* To provide advice and support to customers in financial hardship, negotiating payment plans.
* Daily, proactively preventing debt, by making contact with customers in the early stages of arrears to discuss circumstances and payment arrangements.
* To develop and maintain effective liaison with colleagues across the System in relation to short-term accommodation, private sector lease.
* To liaise and support Collection Team colleagues on all recovery issues including complex recovery cases.
* To undertake all administrative tasks associated with the team including incoming post, daily adjustments to arrangements, checking cases when escalated action is recommended, updating customer records and other administrative tasks as required.
* To provide feedback and ideas to improve team performance in relation to failure demand, customer behaviour and other external influences on debt recovery.
* IRRV Level 2 Diploma in Local Taxation, Benefits and Advice (QCF) or equivalent diploma, or substantial proven equivalent experience.
* A working knowledge of procedure, practice and legislation in relation to the collection of Council Tax from first reminder up to and including summons.
* Good current knowledge of Academy Revs & Bens, Capita Housing, Ash, Access, RKYV Dip and Workflow systems, and associated modules.
* A working knowledge of procedure, practice and legislation in relation to Housing Benefit recovery methods from first reminder up to and including Court action.
* A detailed knowledge of procedure, practice and legislation in relation to the collection of rent from first reminder up to and including eviction.
* A working knowledge of financial customer solutions available including payment arrangement, discretionary funding and write off.
* An understanding of financial regulation and rules in relation to customer payments e.g. direct debit guarantee.
* A good understanding of security protocols in relation to the taking of customer payments and handling personal and financial information.
* Good communication skills at all levels to deal with frequent enquiries on income collection and related issues with customers, colleagues, members and 3rd party representatives.
* Excellent negotiation skills with customers who need to understand the severity of their debt situation.
If you feel you match the profile, please do get in touch with our Tiverton Branch on (phone number removed) or email your CV on