Homelessness Officer, Northampton
A local authority in Northampton are currently recruiting for an Experienced Homelessness Officer (Temporary Accommodation) with a minimum of 2 years’ experience of applying Part VII and an ability to write excellent S184 decisions, to carry out casework and undertake interviews in accordance with the legislative definition.
The focus of the role is the investigate and assess applications of households who are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 28 days – this will also include the following responsibilities:
- Carry a case load of 30 – 35 homelessness applications and work in accordance with the Housing Act 1996 Part VII and Homelessness Act 2002, whilst being mindful of the Codes of Guidance.
- To make a decision as to what duty, if any, is owed to the applicant by the Council, either in the long term or short term.
- Decisions made to include any duty owed under section 188 for the provision of temporary accommodation, section 193 duty to secure long term accommodation, discharge of section 188 and section 193 duty in appropriate circumstances.
- To be responsible for ensuring accurate and appropriate record keeping including updating all relevant case files, whether in hard copy or electronically, whilst adhering to the Data Protection Act 1977.
- To work in accordance with the procedures of the service to ensure an equitable service is provided to all applicants.
- To be responsible for maintaining an up to date knowledge of case law and legislation for the purposes of making legally accurate enquiries / decisions.
- To assist in the overall reduction of B&B use and the cost of temporary accommodation provision by accurately determining / investigating an applicant’s need for temporary accommodation.
- To have an understanding of the cost to the public purse and to work effectively to ensure the service achieves value for money.
- To liaise with a range of stakeholders, including landlords, mortgage providers, other statutory and voluntary organisations and internal departments within the Council to enable thorough and timely homelessness enquiries to be carried out.
To be considered for this role it is essential that you are an experienced Homelessness Officer with a sound understanding of guidance, law and case law, and you must be able to make appropriate and thorough enquiries, and have the ability to produce robust S184 decisions. Strong working knowledge of Part VII of the Housing Act is ESSENTIAL for this vacancy.
This is a full time role, working 37 hours per week on an initial 3 month contract, though it is quite likely that this will be extended.
Why work with Service Care Solutions?
- A specialist, dedicated Social Housing consultant offering single point of contact
- An exclusive range of Social Housing vacancies across the UK
- Provider of Housing staff to over 200 local authorities and 100 Housing Associations.
- DBS disclosures provided via fast track online services free of charge.
- £250 referral bonus if you refer a successful candidate and they complete a probationary period
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please send your CV to Lee McMillan at Service Care Solutions via lee . mc millan @ service care . org . uk - you can also call Lee on (phone number removed) to discuss the role in more detail