• Managing design work in appropriate engineering disciplines.
• Executing duties in accordance with Company procedures for training, health and safety, personnel, quality and project requirements.
• Reviewing existing Company procedures and Project controls and identify new controls to provide improved quality assurance, and improved cost against deliverables.
• Acting as Design Authority for engineering aspects of Babcock products.
• Authorising design documentation as required.
• Chairmanship of Design Reviews (of appropriate Categorisation) to identify best technical solution to fulfil Project objectives.
• Representing Group and/or Department as required.
• Managing design projects in accordance with Company Procedures.
• Managing work to time, cost and quality.
• Providing professional engineering support to surface ship, submarine, commercial and equipment projects.
• Providing business development support across Babcock Design & Technology.
• Performance and management of system requirements, concept design and modelling.
• Ability to manage a team to interpret a design requirement and create a design solution.
• Acting as Independent Technical Assessor and performing Inter Department Checks, Concession Analysis, and the like.
• Preparation of Project and Department Plans and Tracking and Forecasting, Assistance in Preparation of Bids in related subjects,
• Recruitment and Management of staff at all appropriate levels.
• To behave at all times in a manner commensurate with that of a professional engineer.
• Manage staff as required in accordance with company and HR policies and procedures.
• Managing design teams involved in the preparation of technical aspects commercial tenders.
• Managing preparation of Technical Reviews in support of tender responses requiring design input.
• Acting as Design Manager responsible to Project Manager for Projects.
• Management of technical aspects of selecting sub-contractors and/or suppliers.
• Management of technical aspects of work carried out by sub-contractors and/or suppliers.
• Liaising with Project to resolve Project issues.
• Liaising with Production to resolve manufacturing problems.
• To actively seek and win work for the appropriate Discipline.
• Business Stream Directors and their Business Development Managers providing SQEP resource where possible.
• Appropriate Project Managers: for budgets, timescale and priorities.
• Design subcontractors: to ensure compliance with the Design Intent.
• Project and Production Teams: to resolve technical queries.
• Directly responsible to other PDEs or the Senior Operations Manager
Post Holder is authorised to:
• Manage the preparation, checking and authorising of design documentation.
• Represent the Babcock Design Authority when requested to do so.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
Academic: It is essential that the post-holder has a minimum of a second class honours degree or comparable academic standard, in an appropriate discipline and should hold Chartered Engineer status via an appropriate Institution.
Experience: Demonstrable evidence of having worked in the field of the appropriate Discipline design, analysis and technical management at an appropriate level