JOB TITLE: Principal Mechanical Engineer
RATE: £55/ hr ltd
My client, Cavendish Nuclear, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Babcock International Group, is the UK's leading nuclear services company.
With a highly-skilled workforce circa 6,000, Cavendish Nuclear is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and has offices and sites located across the UK as well as internationally.
Cavendish Nuclear innovates to make nuclear safer, faster, at lower cost and delivers across all aspects of the nuclear energy life-cycle; from design and build, through to operations and maintenance, decommissioning, waste management and remediation.
Cavendish Nuclear put people first. A role with the organisation is hugely rewarding and exciting; one that stretches and challenges individuals to be the best they can be. When becoming part of the Cavendish Nuclear team, you know that's exactly what you'll get.
YOU MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Degree qualified and preferably chartered status or equivalent.
- Must have design experience and experience of producing mechanical design deliverables (including associated documentation) for Mechanical Handling Equipment, Special Purpose Machinery, Lifting Equipment etc, ideally within a nuclear environment. Also have experience on the requirements for decommissioning plant, ideally on a nuclear site.
- Able to travel and work at customer's sites and locations.
- Working experience in Design & Engineering Bid preparation including approvals.
- Provision of technical guidance (within the relevant design discipline) for all design work in accordance with project design procedures;
- Leadership and Management of the engineering resources to deliver technical and engineering solutions that robustly support the development of the plant Safety and Environmental Case to meet UK legal and nuclear Site licence requirements.
- Able to take responsibility for delivery of mechanical work package to programme, budget and required quality.
- Effective utilisation of mechanical design resources required to support the Project Managers in meeting their Project programme work packages and provide reporting information to the Project Manager.
- Engineering design governance to ensure that the engineering designs generated through internal and subcontract agencies will transition through the appropriate project gate efficiently
- Ensure appropriate engineering standards are used and that engineering solutions are fit for purpose and achievable.
- Implementation of appropriate functional engineering reviews and Designers Risk Assessments including engagement of Design Capability Experts to advise and guide the development of engineering solutions.
- Management of teams of Mechanical Senior Engineers / Engineers / Designers and checking and approval of mechanical deliverables.
- Have the knowledge, skill and experience to develop 'ideas' into conceptual engineering designs from 1st principles.
- Responsible for checking and approval of design calculations.
- Is up to date with the latest technology and has the ability to specify proprietary equipment for use in bespoke design systems.
- Has knowledge of common engineering materials.
- Has working knowledge and experience in applying relevant EH&S issues as required by Legislation (and applicable Directives).
- Has chaired Design Risk Assessments / Design Reviews and ideally will have presented at HAZOP studies.
- To ensure that competent and SQEP resources are being deployed to deliver design work packages and to ensure SQEP assessments are undertaken in a timely manner.
- Verification (through self-assessment) of the effective implementation of the IMS in engineering design to ensure quality, environment, Health and Safety performance in products
- Has working experience in CE marking process and specifically contents of Technical File.
- Provide design solutions for the nuclear industry and coordinate the production of:
- Design Schemes
- Design Proposal Drawings
- Detail Drawings
- General Assemblies
- Functional Specifications/ Functional Requirements Documents
- Technical Reports and Studies
- Design Justification Reports
- Identify or respond to task variations through formal change control.
- Has a good knowledge of fabrication techniques.
- Has a good knowledge of achievable manufacturing accuracy,
- Ideally will have some 'hands on' experience.
- Knowledge of Geometric tolerancing, weld symbols, limits and fits, surface finish.
- Working knowledge of commonly used materials and standards.
- Working knowledge of nuclear decommissioning projects.
- Has a knowledge of ventilation systems.
Since 1978, Rullion has been securing exceptional candidates for a range of clients; from large well-known brands, to SMEs and start ups. As a family-owned business, Rullion's approach is credible and honest, focused on building long-lasting relationships with both clients and candidates.
Rullion is a forward-thinking recruitment company that specialises in providing a wide range of talent consultancy services to a diverse client base; from small start-ups to large household names.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants