Local Physical Activity Pilot Coordinator x 3
Local Physical Activity Pilot Coordinator x 3Interviews are likely to take place on 9th August 2018Please be aware that this role is Fixed Term up until March 2021. Successful applicants will be deployed in Colchester, Basildon or TendringActive Essex will employ three full time Local Pilot Coordinators to operate as a team, deploying each Coordinator into one of the three local authority test areas (Basildon, Colchester, Tendring).This is a very exciting time to be tackling physical inactivity in Essex. Sport England selected Essex as one of 12 ‘Local Delivery Pilot’ (LDP) areas across England to work with on bold new approaches to build healthier and more active communities. Around £100million of National Lottery funding will be invested in the LDP’s up to 2021 to transform the way that inactive people in disadvantaged communities are engaged. A key feature of each LDP is to address a whole systems approach which creates and improves collaborative working to empower low socio-economic communities to become more active and more resilient.
This has created a fantastic opportunity for three experienced and ambitious professionals to become part of a highly regarded team committed to tackling high levels of physical inactivity working in one of the largest countiesThe three areas represent diverse features of coastal deprivation in Tendring, historical planning issues of post war new town developments in Basildon, and the challenges of rapid urban growth through new housing developments in Colchester.We have a clear focused on whole system change to create a shared vision, develop strong leadership, and increase collaboration of stakeholders at all levels to tackle population levels of physical inactivity. The main target groups are families, older people, and people with mental ill-health. with all of the learning from the LDP to be shared across Essex.Job Purpose Summary:Active Essex will employ three full time Local Pilot Coordinators to operate as a team, deploying each Coordinator into one of the three local authority test areas (Basildon, Colchester, Tendring).There will be ongoing support from the Essex LDP Project Group, Active Essex CSP team, and the Essex County Council Public Health team.In applying for one of these three posts, you can indicate if you have a specific preference to be located in Basildon, Colchester, or Tendring. Otherwise, we will recruit the strongest three candidates and discuss the best options for which area to be located within.Each Coordinator will be hosted and supported by the relevant local authority, dependant on where you are located. The local authorities are Basildon Council, Colchester Borough Council, and Tendring District Council. Each Coordinator will work with a wide range of stakeholders at local level to tackle physical inactivity amongst key target groups.We are looking for individuals that are passionate about community engagement, community development, and community empowerment. This is not a Monday to Friday 9-5 job. You will be immersed in local communities, building strong relationships and supporting local people to design their own solutions about how they want to be more active.You do not have to be a sporty person. We are looking for someone who believes that increasing physical activity is a great way to bring disadvantaged and low socio-economic communities together and make them stronger, as well as recognising that being regularly active will improve a person’s physical and mental wellbeing.Organisational Responsibilities:Roles at this level will be accountable to both Essex County Council and Active Essex County Sport Partnership and the nominated local authority to which the post holder is deployed. The role will have a clear work programme and targets within the overall requirements set by the Local Pilot Project Group.The role will link directly with specific networks in each of the three areas, in particular the local Active Network, the local Public Health Improvement Coordinator, the local Health and Wellbeing Board, and the local Council for Voluntary Services.The role is accountable for:• Building strong relationships and working partnerships with a wide range of local partners and stakeholders who are existing or potential system actors in promoting and increasing physical activity
• Contributing to the planning and implementation of whole system change
• Continual mapping of current provision of relevant physical activity provision across the district
• Identifying and promoting new funding opportunities
• Promoting and communicating information and good practice about the Essex LDPKnowledge, Skills and Experience:• Educated to A level or equivalent by experience.
• Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area.
• Proven experience and capability as a community development professional with a clear understanding of how to successfully engage and empower local communities in low socio-economic area• Evidence of successfully managing projects and interventions that increase physical activity• Experience of working with a broad range of individuals and stakeholder organisations at different levels
• Effective leadership and team working skills, able to motivate others
• Effective communication skills , proven problem solving skills, reliable and effective time management.
• Experience of working within a public sector environment.
• Good planning and organising skills with determination to meet deadlines.
• Good relationship management skills, innovative approach in looking for alternative solutions.Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us