Job Title: Species Advisor
Reports to: Team Leader Protected Species
Welsh language requirements: Level 1
Location: St Mellons, Cardiff
Contract type: Fixed term appointment (FTA) for 12 months
Work pattern: 37 Hours per week Monday to Friday
Primarily office based but may entail travel between different NRW locations, partner organisations and other locations. You will also undertake work outdoors at different sites.
The team plays a lead role in providing advice to internal and external customers on protected species, with a particular focus on licence applications and development planning. Candidates will need to be able to demonstrate experience in the ecology, conservation and principles of mitigation for a range of protected species, good communication skills and stakeholder management.
They will work with colleagues across NRW and with external customers.
Where this role sits:
The role is in the Protected Species Team which sits within the Development Planning and Marine Service, in our Operations Directorate.
Applying for Vacancy:
The following categories will be used to assess the quality of applications both at sift and interview. Please read the whole of the Role Description to ascertain at what level this information needs to be presented.
• Qualifications and Skills
• Analysing and Judgement
• Collaborating with others
• Advising, influencing and negotiating
• Customer Focus
What other information is relevant to the job?
• Knowledge of the ecology and conservation of, and approaches to mitigation suitable for the range of species, protected by wildlife legislation
• A working knowledge of wildlife legislation and its application.
• A working knowledge of the development planning process.
• Good written and spoken communication and presentational skills, with the ability to write clearly for a wide range of target audiences.
• Able to negotiate and work with a wide range of people, including landowners, partner organisations and the public.
• Able to work effectively in team/ collaborative situations.
• Able to currently and legally drive a car in the UK.
• Able to secure and maintain a licence to disturb protected species.
Closing date: 29.4.2019