Salary: £30,000 pro-rated per annum
Contract Type: 9-month Fixed Term Contract
About the Company:
Cornerstone is Exeter’s largest independent housing association established in 1926 to tackle slum housing conditions in the city. We have been providing quality affordable homes to local people in housing need for over 90 years.
We are passionate about providing great places to live. We own and manage 1,400 affordable rented and shared ownership homes. We employ 70 people, and we have an annual turnover of £8m. Our aim is to develop around 30 new homes each year, and invest significantly in maintaining and improving our existing homes. We are customer-centred, with a strong focus on quality. In 2019, 94% of our tenants felt satisfied with the service we provide.
An area unique to Cornerstone is the extent to which we carry out refurbishment to our homes, in addition to routine repairs and cyclical maintenance. This has been a feature for the past 40 years and involves moving the residents, completely gutting the properties and rebuilding from scratch with modern facilities and levels of thermal and acoustic insulation. Our construction team has also undertaken new build schemes on land in our ownership. It is an integral part of the organisation and in many respects our board has responsibility for running not only a traditional housing association but also a significant building company with an annual budget in excess of £3m.
An exciting new opportunity has arisen for a Project Accountant. We are seeking a part qualified or fully qualified accountant with strong core technical accounting, analytical and interpersonal skills. Someone who will challenge our current processes, review our systems and ensure our financial data is accurately captured, efficiently processed and used to aid decision making. You must be able to undertake detailed financial data analysis, be skilled in job costing and confident in conducting cradle to grave system reviews working with various non-financial project teams. Experience in asset management accounting in the social housing sector is desirable but not essential.
Project Accountant Responsibilities:
* Working within the finance team and across all areas of Cornerstone on specific projects to:
* Review and improve our financial information, processes and reporting to support business decision making.
* Ensure that key financial data from our repairs system is accurate and being captured and reported in a timely and efficient manner.
* Review financial information held in our systems regarding our housing assets to inform our new asset management strategy and 30 year business plan.
* Work with colleagues to understand the key cost drivers within Cornerstone recommending and implementing improvements, to create capacity to deliver more planned improvements in customers’ homes and build more homes.
* To promote Cornerstone’s core objectives of quality, care and pride in all that you do.
* Ensure that you are fully acquainted with Cornerstone’s policies and procedures as they relate to your post.
* Observe and promote Cornerstone’s health & safety and equality & diversity policies and procedures at all times.
* Occasional after hours work may be required within the scope of the job including attendance at Board or Committee meetings.
* Any other projects appropriate to your position as may be identified
Project Accountant Requirements:
* Fully / Part CCAB qualified accountant with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
* Experience of working with systems to deliver efficiency
* Experience conducting cradle to grave system reviews including the analysis and improvement of financial data flow from operational systems to financial systems
* Experience of leading and managing projects and project teams to ensure both financial and financial reporting is considered in the decision-making process.
* Experience working with complex accounting transactions
* Effective communicator at all levels of the business
* Understanding the importance of equality and diversity in the workplace
* Ability to undertake a variety of diverse financial projects
* Computer literate
* Complex financial data analysis
* Excellent accuracy and attention to detail
* Analysing, presenting both financial and non-financial information and clear report-writing
* Valid, full driving licence (which will be checked for eligibility at periodic intervals)
* Job Costing skills
* Component accounting – Housing
* Experience of working in the social housing sector
* Experience of driving organisational cultural change around the use of systems and new technology
Project Accountant Benefits:
In return we offer a friendly, supportive environment, in new City Centre offices, with opportunities to develop. Our benefits package includes pro-rata 25 days holiday, flexible working hours and membership of the Social Housing Pension Scheme.
If you think that you are suitable for this Project Accountant role, please apply now