People Advisor - Maternity Cover
When registering to this job board you will be redirected to the online application form. Please ensure that this is completed in full in order that your application can be reviewed.
We’re mad about organic veg. It’s at the heart of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into our iconic veg boxes, and deliver it to around 50,000 homes across the UK every week.
Riverford began in 1987, with one field of organic veg, a wheelbarrow, and a beaten-up 2CV for deliveries. We’ve grown into a thriving e-commerce business, with four organic farms, two packhouses, a fleet of vans and drivers, a wholesaler, a butchery and an award-winning restaurant. This requires loads of brilliant people; we employ in areas including IT, logistics, sales, HR, finance, marketing, and more besides!
We’re a friendly, forward-thinking bunch, with strong values and a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit. ‘Success’ means much more than just profits; we strive to use the business as a force for good, balancing the needs of people and the planet, and guaranteeing a fair deal to all.
In June 2018, Riverford became employee owned, ensuring our independence and protecting our values forever. Working for Riverford makes you a ‘co-owner’; every individual is valued, and every voice is heard. Join us and live life on the veg.
What you’ll be doing
This is an exciting role working for a genuinely ethical business with a highly regarded People team. We have over 730 co-owners across a wide range of sectors, from farming, to production, to hospitality, and head office functions such as Finance, IT and Marketing. Our co-owners are really engaged; this role is not just about case management, but also about helping Riverford achieve its goal of being a truly outstanding place to work.
No two days will be the same in this highly dynamic role. Moving from absence casework, to developing a manager’s toolkit, to contributing to our new on-boarding project, your work will be very varied. We’re looking for someone who’s really up for throwing themselves in and making a difference in this unique workplace.
You will need to be an experienced People Advisor with a generalist background of working across a variety of employee relations disciplines, including absence and long-term capability, and general dayto-day case management. Working in an environment that is not always black and white and where we take a very individual approach to each and every case we manage, has its challenges; we will expect you to support managers in resolving these.
This is a fixed term contract for 12 months, starting in September 2019 for 40 hours a week (usually 8:30am to 5.00pm). Based out of Wash Barn, Buckfastleigh, Devon, TQ11 0JU
• Dealing with various HR queries throughout the business, including our network farms.
• Partnering with line managers to review employee relations, performance management and staff management.
• Support, coach and challenge line management with absence, disciplinary, capability and grievance issues.
• Supporting the People Business Partner and Head of People.
• Managing short & long-term absence, supporting managers in formal meetings.
• Monitoring, reviewing and updating all HR policies and ensuring these are in line with the current legislation
• Informing employees of their rights and entitlements and keeping them up to date on any changes that are made.
• Managing staff relationships, responding to any queries or problems that they have and managing their expectations
• Updating and managing the Maternity and Paternity within the organisation, including our network farms.
• Managing the occupational health function for the organisation.
Skills & experience
• Ideally CIPD qualified, but experience will also be considered
• You will have experience in a similar size or multisite organisations where you have had to deal with a wide variety of casework
• Ideally experience in a production or manufacturing environment although evidence of the breadth of experience and casework will be more important commercially astute and able to see the bigger picture and find ways around problems to reach the best outcome for the longterm success of the business
• Experience of managing complex Employee Relations cases
• Ideally with some experience of TUPE
• Able to quickly establish rapport and be able to work under your own direction and under pressure
• Professional commitment to common sense, plain English approach to human resources
• Able to work in a fast-moving dynamic environment that requires you using your judgement
• You will enjoy working in an environment that treats people on an individual level
• Values systems but able to apply them in a flexible way
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• You will have a commitment to maintain the friendly, non-hierarchical culture
• Calm under pressure, assertive and confident but able to influence and persuade at all levels
Salary - £26,500 per annum
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people – and other benefits too.
• 33 days holiday pro rata (including bank holidays)
• Generous company pension scheme
• Annual profit share; 10% of all our profits are split equally between all co-owners
• 25% off everything we sell
• Heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches, home-cooked by our chefs
• Free organic fruit and veg!
• Enhanced maternity / paternity
• Lots of free co-owner events, from cooking lessons and BBQs, to two massive parties a year