Technical Author - IT Documentation (1 Year FTC) - Chelwood Gate
Chelwood Gate, Sussex
£30,954.96, plus Market Supplement of £4,054.04 per annum & excellent benefits
35 hours per week
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. We now help around 190,000 cats and kittens through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 adoption centres and homing centres.
The main focus of this role is to create and edit IT documentation to reduce risk and ensure all documents are accessible through SharePoint and available to all IT staff. As part of this project, the post holder will produce a document review schedule for the IT team to follow. They will ensure that all project work is completed professionally & documented, on time and to agreed specifications. It is essential for this role to understand the way the IT team works and all the key interactions across Cats Protection. The post holder will need to work independently and make decisions within the scope given by the Head of IT.
The post holder should either hold a current / relevant professional IT certification, or possess an equivalent level of proven skill and technical experience; they should also have attained academic literacy and numeracy qualifications to at least GCSE level.
1. To plan the workload for the duration of the contract to ensure all document updates and creations are achieved within the contract timescale
2. To work independently to review all existing IT documentation as advised
3. To identify missing documents and work to create new IT documentation as advised by the Head of IT
4. To ensure all IT documentation is stored logically on a dedicated SharePoint site with the appropriate security controls
5. To interact with all members of the IT team, identifying and capturing relevant knowledge and translating the information into shared documentation for use across the Charity
6. Communicate with all members of the IT team to ensure awareness of IT documents relevant to their role and the IT strategy
7. Reach agreement with IT managers regarding the ownership of documents and review cycles in line with risk to the Charity
8. Communicate with employees and key stakeholders across the Charity to ensure awareness of relevant IT documentation that is either helpful or essential to their roles
9. At the end of the project, ensure effective handover to senior IT staff who have the ongoing responsibility of maintaining IT documents at the appropriate time
In common with all posts, ensure compliance with Cats Protection’s policies and procedures, statutory obligations and best practice; and undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required by the CEO. This job description may be subject to review in the light of the developing organisation and in consultation with the post holder.
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience, plus GCSE literacy & numeracy qualifications
- Experience of writing IT documentation for a wide range of systems/technology
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of IT hardware and software
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and work on own initiative, generating own work with minimal input
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to deliver constructive feedback effectively
- Ability to engender a supportive and co-operative work environment and the ability to work individually and as a proactive team member
- Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications experience – including Windows & Outlook
- Constructive approach to solving problems, flexible and adaptable approach
- Able to demonstrate initiative and tenacity
- Alignment with Cats Protection's values, mission and policy
Further details of our requirements can be found in the Job Description and Person Specification, available once you start the application process.
To reward you we have a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. We also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Closing date: Friday 27th October 2017
Interviews: to be confirmed
Job reference number: IT
To apply for the role of Technical Author, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Technical Author, IT Documentation, Contract, Technical Document Writer, Document Author, IT Documentation Author, Technical Copywriter, IT