* This is a 2 month contract
* The client is looking for someone with a few years experience in media/press office.
* To provide day-to-day supervision of a distinct specialist area; or to undertake a specialist area of work and/or support within the wider service area.
* Supporting the Senior External Communications Officer to deliver the agreed media and external relations strategy and campaign plans, as part of the overall communications strategy and in line with the roles and responsibilities laid down in the Media Protocol
* Undertaking high quality copy writing of news releases and other materials, reactive and proactive media relations, crisis and reputation management, external stakeholder and partner engagement, and providing advice on event management, as directed
* Responding to media enquiries, working to tight deadlines and working closely with elected members, political researchers and senior officers to select media spokespersons and agree responses that accurately reflect the corporate view under the supervision of the Senior External Communications Officer
* Supporting the Senior External Communications Officer and Senior Internal Communications Officer in the event of crisis/ reputation management situations, as directed
* Working closely with other disciplines within the communications team and departments to gather information and news quickly in order to respond to media enquiries, or for use in proactive media and external relations activity
* Preparing and updating of detailed project plans, budgets and reports, as required by the Senior External Communications Officer
* Undertaking campaign measurement and evaluation, against agreed communications objectives and strategy, as required by the Senior External Communications Officer
* Organising internal and external events, as required (for example, press briefings).
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
* You will have or be able to achieve a good understanding of local government and will have worked in a similar service area
* You will hold or be working towards a relevant professional/technical qualification
* You will have well developed interpersonal and communication skills to build relationships and engage successfully with contacts and customers
* You will have experience of working flexibly in a team and across different areas of activity
* You will have good numeracy, literacy, report writing, presentation and IT skills
* You will be able to undertake effective research and present findings in a clear, concise format
* You will have demonstrable experience of meeting service standards, targets and deadlines
* You will be able to work cope with competing demands and deliver to deadlines
* You will have a good level of general IT skills and the ability to use appropriate specialist in-house software packages.
* Proven experience in communications, PR and/or journalism in similar roles
* Proven experience of undertaking media and external relations campaigns
* Ideally educated to degree level
* Relevant professional qualification, e.g. CIPR or CAM) preferred this may be a qualification towards which the candidate is currently working
* Media relations experience, including responses to media enquiries, organising media events (e.g. press briefings and photo calls), media monitoring, copywriting media materials (e.g. news releases and briefing notes), evidence of work with local and regional media (across print, TV and digital)
* Experience of working with other external stakeholders preferred (e.g. the public, partner organisations)
* Sound copywriting skills for a range of audiences and purposes (e.g. news releases and other media content, reports, leaflets, content for websites)
* Good verbal and written communications skills
* Good interpersonal skills - able to maintain effective working relationships at all levels
* Event organising (e.g. press briefings, staff conferences)
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases