Contract to Permanent
£18,000 - £21,000
Choice Teachers are working with a local college who are looking to recruit a Learning Assistant for their Plumbing course. This is a new role which is designed to provide support for teaching and learning within a practical working environment. The Learning Assistant will be based within an academic School and will be part of the curriculum team, working alongside members of the teaching staff to support students’ learning.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervise students, under the oversight of teaching staff, within the learning environment to assist in developing specialist skills and ensure safe working practices.
• Demonstrate the correct use of equipment and handling of materials to students to assist in developing their skills and ensure safe working practices.
• Contribute to the supervision of student recreational activities and educational visits to provide a high quality student experience.
• Act as a role model for students to promote high standards of conduct and behaviour.
• Supervise and maintain designated practical work areas, regularly checking to ensure effective and efficient support to teachers and learners, a high standard of cleanliness and adherence to health and safety requirements.
• Regularly check, maintain and as necessary repair equipment in accordance with College guidelines to ensure it is safe and ready for use when required.
• Prepare and, as appropriate, construct equipment and materials for use by teaching staff and students to assist in the delivery of teaching and learning.
• Give technical advice to staff and students on the selection and use of equipment and materials for teaching and learning purposes and, as appropriate, prepare written technical guidelines for the use of equipment and processes.
• Operate a booking system to control the allocation and usage of equipment and resources for teaching and learning.
• Monitor and maintain stock levels of consumables and order supplies to ensure appropriate materials are available when needed to support the learning process.
• Maintain inventories of equipment in accordance with College procedures.
• Safely dispose of waste materials to maintain a safe learning environment.
• Undertake and maintain risk assessments for designated processes, and ensure the implementation of agreed control measures and procedures, to ensure a safe and healthy learning environment.
• Provide first aid in the event of an accident within the practical work area
The successful applicant must:
• Relevant occupational qualification at Level 3 or above
• Good practical working knowledge of the relevant work environment, materials, equipment and techniques
• Be able to commit to full time (Monday -Friday)
• Be able to engage well with colleagues, children and their parents
• Effective written English and numeracy skills
• Have clear and strong written and spoken communication skills
• Be available and willing to commit for the rest of the Academic year
By joining this college as a Learning Assistant, they can offer you:
• A warm and friendly working environment
• Students with good behaviour
• A competitive salary/rate of pay
• A supportive team of fellow teachers, support staff and senior leaders
• Potential offer to extend or become permanent staff
This position is subject to an Enhanced DBS Disclosure, Overseas Police Clearances (if applicable) and professional reference checks. Your CV must include full details of Education and work history, any gaps in employment must be explained