Job Title: Senior Compliance Officer
Department: Fire Safety
Type: Fixed Term contract 9 months+
Monitor the delivery of the Fire Safety function including the management of relevant contracts, ensuring full compliance with all statutory and regulatory requirements, including the implementation of an effective risk management approach to compliance within the Group.
Support the Compliance Manager in the development, implementation and review of the Compliance Management model and Fire Safety policies, procedures and guidance on behalf of the Group, including the provision of Fire Safety training for colleagues, taking into account up to date legislation, amendments to codes of practice, health and safety requirements and industry best practice, proactively adopting new and innovative ideas and solutions to ensure continuous improvement of the service.
Support the Compliance manager in their role as the Group’s lead advisor for Fire Safety, providing advice and expertise across all services for the lifecycle of buildings including acquisition, design and build, occupation, refurbishment, demolition and disposal, providing technical, procedural, specification and compliance guidance as required.
Support the Compliance Manager in the scoping, specifying, mobilisation and implementation of all relevant statutory Fire Safety compliance contracts, including assessing the competence of potential suppliers throughout the procurement process and acting as decision maker in terms of successful appointments on behalf of the Group.
Effectively monitor and report on Fire Safety compliance contracts, implementing the appropriate performance framework for each contract including service level agreements and key performance indicators, leading performance review meetings and dealing with under-performance including escalation of issues as appropriate.
Ensure the integrity and quality of data retained in relation to relevant contracts, to ensure compliance with procurement protocols and to enable cyclical and ad hoc analysis to be carried out and relevant reporting as required.
Analyse, assess and interpret Fire Risk Assessment recommendations for high level risks across the Group, acting as decision maker regarding acceptance of risks, identifying the most appropriate risk mitigation activity required and planning, commissioning and monitoring all activity and control measures to successful completion.
Plan, schedule and oversee the effective and timely programme of Fire Safety inspections, servicing, repairs and risk mitigation activity on behalf of the Group, to ensure adherence to regulatory, statutory and compliance frameworks, recording and following up outcomes and escalating as appropriate to ensure risk reduction activity and control measures are implemented.
Commission work from both internal colleagues and external contractors as appropriate, effectively monitoring and ensuring all work orders are progressed to completion and in line with agreed performance standards, service level agreements and financial limits, escalating issues and risks as appropriate.
Manage internal and external stakeholders effectively, including colleagues and third-party suppliers, providing advice, support and training, building constructive working relationships to effectively deliver the Group’s Fire Safety Compliance objectives.
Contribute to the development and monitoring of Fire Safety budgets, authorising low value payments as required, ensuring Fire Safety expenditure is robustly managed in line with the Group’s financial controls.
Maintain accurate Fire Safety compliance records using appropriate systems, ensuring the integrity and quality of data, to enable regular analysis to be carried out and reporting to be completed as required.
Provide clear, supportive and accurate advice to a range of stakeholders including colleagues, to ensure awareness of Fire Safety standards and compliance across the Group.
Ensure internal business processes are followed in line with the Group’s policy, procedures and statutory requirements.
Contribute to the continuous improvement of processes and procedures.
Respond flexibly to any necessary changes in work priorities and undertake other duties when required to support the effective operation of the service.
Ensure that all data protection requirements are met in accordance with the Group’s policy, procedures and statutory requirements.
Ensure that health and safety requirements are met in accordance with the Group’s policy, procedures and statutory requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* In depth knowledge of Fire Safety within Social Housing, including government and industry guidance, British standards, building regulations and the requirements of Fire Safety Order 2005 (RRO).
* Proven track record of managing and delivering effective servicing and maintenance contracts to a large and diverse portfolio of mix tenure properties.
* Effective contract management skills including managing service and maintenance contracts.
* Clear understanding of risk management and compliance.
* Experience of successfully managing budgets in line with agreed financial protocols.
* Evidence of using sound judgement when making effective decisions.
* Effective stakeholder management, both internally and external to the organisation, including the ability to successfully persuade and influence others.
* Customer focused with excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work at all levels within the business.
* Results driven with strong analytical skills, including the ability to critically analyse complex information, and experience of providing meaningful management information.
* Commercially aware with a focus on continuous improvement and the ability to drive change
* Excellent team player who can work flexibly to meet business requirements.
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
* Experience of successfully undertaking the role of organisational lead for compliance with legislative, regulatory or governance requirements and best practice in respect of Fire Safety installations and equipment.
* Knowledge of Compliance Information and Communications Technology (ICT) systems including Housing Management Systems e.g. Academy/Open Housing management, C365, Promaster.
* NEBOSH Fire Certificate/Diploma or Certified in Applied Fire Risk Assessment (previously FRA and Fire Safety Management), or equivalent.
* Fire Detection and Alarm Systems for Building BS 5839 Part 1: Code of Practice for System Design, Installation, Commissioning and Maintenance.
* Relevant building, maintenance, compliance or facilities management qualification e.g. HNC in Building or NEBOSH General, or equivalent.
* Professional membership of a relevant construction industry body.
* Deliver the Vision - Focuses on the company's goals, understands its direction and contributes to its overall success.
* Focus on Performance - Takes ownership of the performance and development of themselves, supports the development of others.
* Strive for Excellence - Continually looks for ways to improve the service provided by self, team and the organisation.
* Be Commercially Minded - Aware of the need to add value to support economic, sustainable growth for the organisation