Mechanical Maintenance Technician
We are looking for a Mechanical Maintenance Technician do work for our world wide raw material business in Newport. The position exists to provide specialist mechanical engineering support as required. The pay for this position is £13.43 per hour on a 40 hour week.
The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring all activities are undertaken within Health, Safety and Environmental requirements and in compliance with company and legislative requirements. The jobholder will work as part of a team to ensure manufacturing performance on an ongoing basis and to support manufacturing development plans, identifying opportunities for improvement.
* To work in a totally flexible manner to support and participate in all team activities aimed at achieving manufacturing and product quality targets.
* To ensure all activities comply with safety requirements and bring any quality and safety issues to the Leading Hand if it is not possible to take immediate corrective action.
* To undertake any activities as instructed by the Leading Hand or other members of the Management Team provided it is safe to do so.
* Fork lift truck driving, slinging/rigging and operation of overhead cranes.
* To feedback all information relating to work undertaken to Leading Hand.
* Have daily interaction with Team Members on the same team.
* Working together to achieve targets and goals.
* To continually update the Service Engineer/Leading Hand and fully engage with any team input required to help with the repair of plant and equipment to the required QA standards.
* To work to a high quality standard and to perform under pressure as and when required.
* To repair immediately, or as soon as practical, all defects found either personally, with the assistance of other team members or Service Engineer/Leading Hand.
* To assist and carry out where appropriate the failure analyses and implement practical cost effective solutions.
* To actively participate in solutions generated via problem solving activity with a wide range of other personnel as appropriate.
* To work alongside contract or agency labour as appropriate and in so doing set the standard and direction for the work to be done.
* To ensure that the appropriate level and quality of spares requirement is identified and arrangements are in place to satisfy operational demands.
* To help coach others, including shift teams and contractor personnel, in order to install high standards and develop engineering skills in others for overall business benefit.
Requirements / Personal Specification
* The jobholder must be a time served indentured mechanical craftsman,
* Must have experience of working within a safe system of work
* Any safety accredited course would be advantageous (E.G. IOSH or NEBOSH)
* NVQ level 3 qualification in mechanical engineering
* Good communication and interpersonal skills
* Good failure analysis experience required.
* Must be able to work safely under pressure.
* Must be able to receive and carry out instructions of work within an agreed time.
* Must be able to ask question if they feel something is unsafe.
* Must be able to ask, if they don’t know something
* Report writing experience
* Write risk assessments and safe working procedures before carrying out tasks.
* Experienced in completing Strip and inspections reports.
* QA system Knowledge and worked within credited ISO 9001 company
* Basic Bearing knowledge (Types and application)
* Knowledge of gearboxes and gear sets
* Knowledge of Drive shafts, couplings keys and Key fitting
* Knowledge of Lubrication systems and types of Lubricants
* Knowledge of Hydraulic systems and Hydraulic Fluids
* Knowledge of crane running wheels and bogies
* Basic machining experience in Milling and lathe work capability
* Basic Welding and Burning capability
* Be capable of interpreting technical drawings and standards,
* Be able to complete manual tasks up to 25kg in weight
* Be able to work at height, off purpose build platforms
* Be able climb up stairs and scaffolding ladders scaffolding
* Be able to stand for long periods completing bench work.
* Operate within a team and contribute to goals and targets
* Be able to Kneel/bend and twist to access jobs when required
* Be able to work within confined spaces
* Be able to use vibrating air and electric tools compliant current regulations
* Be able to work alone unsupervised as when required
* Advantageous to drive large overhead gantry cranes
* Advantageous use large slings and lift large pieces of plant correctly
* To work with COSHH regulations and have knowledge of substances working with them correctly
* Be able to work anywhere on site, any shift rota with only 48 hour notice.
* Advantageous to drive forklift trucks from 1.8 tonne to 12 tonne
* Advantageous to operate a mobile elevated working platform.
Randstad CPE values diversity and promotes equality. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate against any of the protected characteristics that fall under the Equality Act 2010. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are more than happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements as required to support your application.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
For the purposes of the Conduct Regulations 2003, when advertising permanent vacancies we are acting as an Employment Agency, and when advertising temporary/contract vacancies we are acting as an Employment Business