One of our local clients based in Newry are currently recruiting for the role of Cleansing Operative.
Main Purpose of Post/Job Summary
* Working within the Environmental Cleansing Service (Street Cleansing), the postholder will be required to provide, in a safe and effective manner, a quality and efficient street cleansing service, in all weather conditions.
* The postholder, normally working within a squad, shall be required to interact with the public in a courteous and appropriate manner and shall be assigned to Environmental Cleansing duties throughout the Council District.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Undertake, either individually or as a member of a mechanised cleansing team, duties concerned with the sweeping, collection and removal of litter, dirt, dead animals, leaves and weeds, etc, from public spaces (including roads, pavements and shopping precincts). These duties will require the use and operation of the usual range of associated tools and equipment (e.g. Sharp Kits) and regular inspection and emptying of litter bins. Work unsocial hours as required.
* The postholder may from time to time be given the opportunity to carry out refuse collection duties. Such duties may specifically include: Undertaking, either individually or as a member of a team, duties connected with the removal of household, industrial and commercial and recyclable refuse from a variety of locations, eg, houses, shops, schools. This could involve the full use of refuse containers, eg, plastic sacks, wheelie bins, and paladin bins.
* The postholder may from time to time be given the opportunity to carry out driving duties in connection with Environmental Cleansing. The postholder must have received assessment to drive specialist vehicles and to undertake team leader and relevant reporting/completion of daily returns.
* A local agreement has been negotiated whereby cleansing operatives may be given the opportunity to drive the Council’s Street Sweeping vehicles. Following suitable training, the driver rate will only be paid where an operative has been allocated to driving duties.
* Assist driver where requested, to manoeuvre vehicle as assigned, following training.In the absence of the regular driver, or service reserve driver, to ensure that all relevant areas are swept in accordance with Route Schedules and to ensure that any casual staff assigned undertake tasks in accordance with Council procedures and policies.
* Operate associated apparatus connected with the vehicle as allocated, in a safe manner.
* Responsible for the use of Radio Telecommunications equipment assigned to the vehicle, in accordance with Road Traffic Legislation.
* Report, as appropriate, any public safety issues as arise from Council responsibility and any issues as could detrimentally affect the appearance of the Environment.
This is a temporary contract with strong possibility for further extension,
For more information please contact Ryan Doherty